The PADI Instructor Development Course with SCUBA WEST
As an IDC facility, Scuba West is proud to offer the instructor development course to allow new dive professionals to begin their teaching career. The instructor development course is a combination of assistant instructor (AI) and Open Water scuba instructor (OWSI) programs.
A PADI Divemaster or industry equivalent, is eligible to participate in this 8th day program. Upon successful completion the instructor candidate needs to complete a two-day instructor examination to complete their instructor training.
The Fun Part
Get mentored while gaining hands-on experience teaching students.
What You Learn
You build upon your abilities to organise and supervise scuba diving activities, while concentrating on developing teaching skills. You learn through:
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course consists of these sections:
- Module 1: Academic Training
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Programs
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Teaching Project AWARE and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialties
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Conducting Open Water Training Presentations
- Module 2: Independent Study
- Module 3: Practical Application
- Confined Water and Open Water Teaching Presentations
- Standards Exam
- Dive Rescue Skills Assessment
What You Can Teach
In addition to the responsibilities and duties you already have as a PADI Divemaster, as a PADI Assistant Instructor you can:
- Teach academic presentations under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- During confined water dives, present initial skills training under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Evaluate Open Water Diver surface skills under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of a PADI Instructor
- Teach Project AWARE Specialty courses
- Teach the AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty course
- Conduct PADI Discover Scuba Diving experiences in a pool or confined water
- Conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions
- Teach PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating
At a glance, compare what you can teach when you continue your professional diver education.
The Scuba Gear You Use
You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills.
The Learning Materials You Need
The PADI IDC crewpak includes all the materials needed to prepare for a PADI Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The 23-item pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (OW, AOW, Rescue and Divemaster)
- IDC Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty outlines for Project AWARE
- PADI Instructor Manual.
For all your learning materials and equipment, contact SCUBA WEST.
- Be a PADI Divemaster or qualifying certification from another certification organization
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have 60 logged dives, including night, deep, and navigation dives
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
- Have CPR and First Aid Training within the last 24 months
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- Want a fun and exciting career!
Your Next Adventure
Take the full Instructor Development Course with SCUBA WEST to become a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor so you can teach and certify PADI Open Water Divers.
For more information about this or other PADI courses have a chat with one of the SCUBA WEST Team members.